Search This Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Fish Tacos

This summer I am looking forward to my dear friends Kelly and Tim returning and introducing me to the wonderful world of fish tacos. I have never had a fish taco, but I love fish and I love tacos and putting the two together sounds pretty damn good. See the email Kel sent me below:

I really really really want you to get into fish tacos. God they are good. This site goes into a lot of detail with actually making the tortilla, but good explanation of them: http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2006/06/baja_fish_tacos.html

"On an elemental level, the fish taco can be reduced to a very simple equation: Fish + Tortilla = Fish Taco.

From this perspective, there is little question that people have been eating fish tacos in the coastal areas of Mexico for an awfully long time. It probably goes back thousands of years to when indigenous North American peoples first wrapped the plentiful offshore catch into stone-ground-corn tortillas.

More recently, somewhere in Baja California, sometime in the last 30 or 40 years, someone concocted what is generally considered to be the prototypical fish taco. According to aficionados - call them the codnoscenti - this humble delicacy consists of a lightly battered mild white fish that is deep-fried, then served in a corn tortilla (often two) with shredded cabbage, a thin sour-cream- or mayonnaise-based sauce, a bit of salsa, and a most vital spritzito of lime."

I think this is a good recipe to start with: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/fish-tacos-recipe/index.html

I usually just make it up... but corriander is the key for me!

MMmmmmmmmmmm!

No comments: