Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2008

Aubergine Gourmet Foods on South Terrace…review by Jessica Anderson

231 South Tce
South Fremantle 6162 WA
Phone: (08) 9335 2115
Chef: Paul Watters

I awoke nice and early on sunday (after a massive night out) to head out for breakfast and found myself in Fremantle at 12pm. I was starving and looking to assuage my hangover. I’m not 100% sure if it was the fact that I was willing to eat anything or that the food was fabulous but Aubergine’s in South Tce hit the spot for me that morning (ah, midday). I was lucky to jag an outdoor table and placed an order for their breakfast sandwich while my boyfriend had the eggs florentine. I love a place that does all day breakfast and despise those that stop the morning ritual at 11am.

The breakfast sandwich was huge and gave me the option to eat with my hands “sandwich style” or with a knife and fork. I chose to eat with my hands and went for it. A large square of turkish bread that was not too doughy (and therefore the perfect vessel) carried bacon, egg, spinach, cheese, roasted tomatoes and some delightfully tasty relish with onions. I think I ate the whole thing in under 10 minutes, maybe less. My boyfriend’s eggs florentine looked good but unfortunately he wasn’t willing to share that morning, even though I gave him some of my bacon. I can however tell you, that his physical improvement between arriving and leaving was such that the food must have been the perfect hangover cure as well as a damn fine meal.

I was really impressed with the coffee and the service. The two waitresses that served me were both genuinely pleasing and warm. The one with the short hair really went out of her way to make sure some other customers could fit their party on an outside table. The coffee came out quickly, hot and was not bitter to taste. My boyfriend’s flat white was not too frothy either, which is how a FLAT white should be. We also got a juice, and out of the array of ingredients to choose from, the combo of apple, pineapple, orange and ginger really hit the spot. The juice was cool and not overly packed with ice.

I really enjoyed the experience at Aubergines, however I do recommend sitting outside as it can get very noisy inside and has terrible acoustics. I did have an average meal there when I ordered fruit toast about a month ago but this new experience has put it back in my good books. It also has the great Freo vibe without the hoons driving their cars past you and it is free and easier to find a parking spot. I am really looking forward to seeing this part of Fremantle grow as the Seaview Pub and other little cafes start to open up and improve.
I give it a 7 out of 10!!

Mon-Fri 7am-4pm; Sat-Sun 7am-5pm
Mains: $3.50-$16.50
Dessert: $3.50-$4.50
Payment accepted: Cash Only

No comments: