Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sea Garden, Prevelly...review by Jessica Anderson

103 Mitchell Dr
Prevelly 6285 WA
Phone: (08) 9757 3074





It was with a mild sense of delight when I discovered that the surf was crap and the sea was windy as I therefore knew I could indulge in my boyfriend’s company all morning. We headed to Sea Garden in Prevelly for some late coffees and were so seduced by the menu that we decided to place a bigger order.

We decided to share the poached eggs with spinach and feta to accompany our flat whites and cappucinos. I am a serious lover of eating breakfast at cafes, I love the newspaper getting in the way and the fact that I don’t have to do small talk. The Sea Garden has the perfect ambiance for my favourite indulgence. We sat outside, under the peppermint trees with the sun on our backs and a view to the roaring ocean. The food came out in 10 minutes after we ordered.

Firstly, the coffee was strong and smooth. I am regarded as a coffee snob amongst most of my friends and this cafe did not disappoint me.

But to the food …. it was the most delicious breakfast i have eaten in a long time. the eggs were poached perfectly with the whites firm and the orange middle (I kid you not, the centres were bright orange) a perfect runny mess. the feta was a great salty substitute for the usual bacon, and the small amount of grated fresh beetroot took the texture of the meal to a new dimension. the chef had also roasted a small half tomato, wilted the spinach under the warm eggs, lightly buttered the ciabatta toast and wasn’t overly generous on the hollandaise, so the meal was balanced perfectly. The only criticism is that the hollandaise sauce didn’t appear to be “real”, possibly out of a jar.

My boyfriend, who frequents most of Margaret River’s eateries, regards this cafe as a bit “hit and miss” but this Saturday morning it hit it and it hit it hard! I was so impressed that I am excited about my next meal there and cant wait to try something else on the menu. I’d easily give the whole experience a 7 out of 10! (the waitress was pretty cute too).

Open daily 8am - 9pm
Entree: $7-$19
Mains: $18.50-$29
Dessert: $8.50-$14
Licensed. Wine is not available by the glass. BYO (wine only) $5 corkage per person.

No comments: